Friday, May 31, 2013

R.E.A.D. Part 4 (D for Design)

Hey Bloggees, Sorry for the delay in the blog post.  I took some time off to spend with family. I hope you all had a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend.

Well, I'm back and ready to conclude the four part series of the R.E.A.D Method. Just to recap, R stands for Research, E for extract, and A for Application.  The final stage is...(Drum roll please)…DESIGN!

The design stage is where
final experimentation and design development takes place.  I take the best sketches that I have and scan / photograph them to my computer.  From the sketches, I experiment with various layouts, shapes, and fonts.  To help choose an appropriate font, I develop a list of potential canidates.  The list allows me to evaluate and chose strong font candidates (and even, on some occasions, discover a totally different idea.  Timing always varies in this stage. Sometimes, I do the design in one sitting.  Other times I set the work aside and come back to it later and reevaluate it. All the while, I try to keep the overall concept and usage in mind.  The goal, in the end, is a final design that effective, attractively, and accurately coveys it's message.

TWA Application
 


 I snapped photos of the sketches to be used and dropped them into Illustrator.


From there, I experimented and explored various design options ranging from various shapes to color palettes.  I tried to stay with TWA's red to pay homage to it's history and bringing continuity to the design.  When it came to the font I wanted a contemporary sans serif font that would reflect the forward, innovative nature of the airline.  To that end, after perusing various font options, I selected Aller, a rounded, modern sans-serif.  The font's design implies strength without being too chunky, or rigid.  Aller's font family of various weights and styles (a great thing to keep in mind when choosing a font) helped solidify the decision.  The chevron shape developed through various rounds of experimentation (as well as some inspiration from the British Airways design.  The directional shape of the design implies the company's innovative thinking.  The chevron, made of two different reds, represents how the company started as a merger of two airlines.  The final design works well both in color and black and white, and in various sizes from pins and business card, to billboards and aircraft.




Next time I'll show you the application of the design. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions on this or on another topic, feel free to leave a comment here on the blog.  Hope to hear from you all! 'Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment