Monday, October 5, 2015

Lesson’s Learned from Circles Part III

 
Hey Bloggees,

Back again for the final set of lessons from the Circles Conference. As I mentioned last time, this is summarizing some of the great lessons I came away with from the 2015 Circles Conference. Let’s get crackin’!

Learning from Your Mistakes
Food type design Danielle Evans shared her backstory of mistakes and errors on her journey in design. She recommended us to use our bad ideas as a springboard for future design. Danielle also encouraged us that mistakes and error are not the end, but an opportunity to develop our own style (which she referred to as a consistent series of calculated errors).

Design Advice
Young Jerks founder Dan Cassaro asked us what type of designer are you (serious with substance or style and light)?  He then explained the important elements in design in the form of nobility - Taste (which is king), Style (which is queen), and Ability (which the trusted adviser). These three elements develop good design. Lastly Dan encouraged us to work hard at not working hard.

10 Things in 10 Years
Design Duo Katie & Nathan Strandberg of Eight Hour Design gave us 10 bits of advice (representing the 10 years they have been working together). For example…

Surround yourself with good people
Known when to walk / run away from a bad job

and a great bonus one…
Don’t listen to us! Learn for yourself.

Made in the Middle
The conference ended with a great presentation from Tad Carpenter. He reminded us to take risks and that we get to do this work for a living. It’s easy to forget, in midst of client woahs and design mishaps, that we have a chance to do something that we love. It was a great message to rally the design groups to head back to the workplace.

Applications
These speakers have encouraged me in the realm of perseverance. When it comes to mistakes and botched job, I need to press on and learn for next time. In regards to my work load, it needs be a persistent balance of work and rest. When it comes to life, I need to keep learning and growing in my field. Lastly, in my focus, it’s the constant reminder that I get to do what I enjoy. Next time, I’ll  be sharing the process to my Star Car Collects. Thanks for reading the blog. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment