Friday, September 18, 2015

Circles 2015... Lessons Learned Part 1



Hey Bloggees!

After a long hiatus, I'm restarting with the miniblogs. A week ago I got the opportunity to go to Circles, a design conference held in Grapevine, Texas, just outside of Dallas. It was a great chance to catch up with friends I had made at Creative South, a chance to hear some great speakers, and, to be honest, a chance to take a small vacation from the chaos that had become my life... I was letting myself get overwhelmed with my work and struggling to find the balance between it and home life. The conference was just what I needed. It gave me the chance to clear my head and get a fresh perspective of my job as a graphic designer. Over the next few weeks I'll share some of the lessons I've learned and am planning to apply to my life.

Creativity is a Fight
Online Writer Shawn Blanc started off the conference with a session entitled "Fight to Stay Creative." His message resonated with my work struggle and creative burnout. To help out the rest of us, Shawn gave us a strategy to fight the good fight...
   • Showing up every day.
      Having the discipline to show up mentally and creatively.

   • Rest well and take time away from the screen.
     Take time out to clear your head.

   • Set clear goals and celebrate success.
     Have daily goals and rewards to celebrate completing those goals.

   • Have fun while you create.
     Relax and enjoy the creative process.
   • You are not alone.
     Stay connected with the community.


Application 
Shawn's message made me realize that I wasn't alone with my struggle. His guidelines made me realize that I didn't have to be bogged down by this mental load. Instead, I plan on using his strategy to fight for creativity and learn to enjoy the process. Till next time bloggees!

No comments:

Post a Comment